Come join a small team in a warm, intimate community. Congregation Or Zarua, now in its 34th year, creates joyous Jewish life in a multi-generational, egalitarian, traditional, and full-participatory setting. Or Zarua welcomes people regardless of knowledge or previous level of involvement in Jewish life. We create community through study, prayer, and a variety of programming led by both the Rabbi and congregants. We seek someone to be a welcoming face and helping hand to congregants, donors, employees, and vendors.
The role of the Assistant to the Executive Director focuses on administrative support for the Executive Director in implementing the vision and mission of Congregation Or Zarua in its communications, programs, religious services, and community lifecycle events. Much of that support will involve managing the logistics of Jewish holidays, events, programs, and projects. The Assistant will provide administrative support to other staff and contractors as needs arise. The Assistant will respond to inquiries by phone, email, or in person, and so will be a representative of the Congregation, the Rabbi, and the Executive Director to the membership, guests, and general public.
The Assistant to the Executive Director will primarily report to the Executive Director, but as a small “all-hands-on-deck” team, the Assistant will also be expected to assist in areas of operation as requested by the Rabbi or Director of Youth Education and Programming. This job description is not a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities required in this position; there may be additional duties as needs arise.
• Provide administrative and logistical support required for Shabbat and lifecycle events, High Holy Days, events, programs, and festivals. Ensure that the maintenance staff has clear instructions as appropriate.
• Set up registration for events on ShulCloud.
• Oversee purchasing to ensure compliance with budget.
• Order office and building maintenance supplies.
Shabbat and Holidays
• Manage the logistics for the High Holy Day services, including arrangements with vendors, coordinating with the rental venue, and overseeing the setup and breakdown for all services. This will require being on site before, during and after all High Holy Day services.
• Be present at select Saturday morning services to get to know the community and assist with logistics on special occasions.
Building and Operations
• Manage basic contracts and vendor relationships.
• Maintain records of required building documentation and inspections to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Follow up with any deficiencies identified during any inspections.
• Prepare monthly security and maintenance staff calendars and submit to the Executive Director five business days before the end of each month.
• Be available as an emergency contact for off-hour emergencies.
• Assist with the Nonprofit Security Grant procurement and maintenance of related files.
• Work with consultants and Security Committee to develop emergency plans.
• Work with the security committee to keep the Standard Operating Procedures up to date and ensure that the guards on duty are informed.
Skillset & Qualifications:
The Assistant to the Executive Director must have excellent communication and problem-solving skills, sound judgment and a sense of humor. Attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize various tasks and meet deadlines, are important. The Assistant should be proficient with the Microsoft suite of products (including Word, Excel, and Outlook), and familiar with database management and electronic communication.
It is preferred that the Assistant will already have an understanding of Jewish customs and religious observances.
The Assistant will be required to treat all information or knowledge relating to the Congregation or any of its congregants, donors, employees or vendors as proprietary and confidential. All such information or knowledge must at all times be protected and must be used only for the Congregation’s benefit.
The position is part-time, approximately 20 hours per week. Schedule is flexible to be agreed upon with the Executive Director in advance. The pay rate is $20 per hour.
Employment in this position is at will. Congregation Or Zarua is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled).
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.